Monday, April 6, 2009

A Raisin in the Sun


Well, thanks to a nudge from my blog buddy Sue Barton of Bartons Originals and a near threat from my sister-in-law Sherry Goodloe of Got Art, I made it to the play on Saturday. I love community theater...I forgot how much.
I enjoyed the play (A Raisin in the Sun) and enjoyed being out of the house...and I looked gorgeous...lol. I remembered a quote from the play that I love..it always touches me when I hear it (the mother is responding to her daughters harshness when the brother loses the family's money)...

"Honey, when do you think is the time to love somebody? Is it when they get a big promotion? Is it when they’re successful? Is it when all their investments pay off? Is that the time you love somebody?

Honey, the time to love someone is when they are down and out. The time to love someone is when they’ve made a mistake in their life and they feel bad. The time to love somebody is when they have nobody to reach out to. The time to love somebody is when life has whipped and beaten them.

That’s the time to love somebody."

Sue, Sherry...thanks for the love.

“A RAISIN IN THE SUN” is a play by Lorraine Hansberry and tells the story of a family living and struggling on Chicago's South Side in the 1950s. It is a fiercely moving portrait of people whose hopes and dreams are constantly deferred. The themes are very much relevant today.

"A Raisin in the Sun" was the first play written by an African-American woman to be produced on Broadway. March of 2009 marks the 50th year anniversary of the Play's Broadway debut. It was made into a major motion picture in 1961 starring legends Sidney Portier and Ruby Dee. "

What a wonderful piece of American history!

Stay Creative!

Lezlei

2 comments:

Sue said...

"A Raisin in the Sun" is a wonderful story - I saw the movie years ago. I'm so glad that you saw the play. Community theatre is THE BEST!

Good for you for putting your crappy week behind you and going!

hugs,

Sherry Goodloe said...

I am sooooooo happy that you got out and went to the play Lezlei :) But I've got to tell you, I am even happier that you will be here this week! I haven't been this excited since . . . well, I can't even remember now :)